|dc.description.referencetext||1. The World Health Report, 2000 - Health systems: improving performance.
Geneva: World Health Organization; 2000.
2. WHO estimates of health personnel: physicians, nurses, midwives, dentists and
pharmacists (around 1998). Geneva: World Health Organization. Available
from: URL: http://www3.who.int/whosis (click on ''heath personnel'').
3. Buchan J, Ball J, O'May F. Determining skill mix in the health workforce:
guidelines for managers and health professionals. Geneva: World Health
Organization; 2000 (document OSD discussion paper 3).
4. Buchan J. Determining skill mix: lessons from an international review. Human
Resources for Health Development Journal 1999;3:80-90.
5. Feldman M, Ventura M, Crosby F. Studies of nurse practitioner effectiveness.
Nursing Research 1987;36:303-8.
6. Brown S, Grimes D. A meta-analysis of nurse practitioners and nurse midwives
in primary care. Nursing Research 1995;44:332-9.
7. Richardson G, Maynard A, Cullum N, Kindig K. Skill mix changes: substitution
or service development? Health Policy 1998;45:119-32.
8. Richards A, Carley J, Jenkins CS, Richards DA. Skill mix between nurses and
doctors working in primary care-delegation or allocation: a review of the
literature. International Journal of Nursing Studies 2000;37:185-97.
9. Anderson RA, Hsieh P, Su H. Resource allocation and resident outcomes in
nursing homes: comparisons between the best and worst. Research in Nursing
and Health 1998;21: 297-313.
10. Bond CA, Raehl CL, Pitterle M E, Franke T. Health care professional staffing,
hospital characteristics, and hospital mortality rates Pharmacotherapy
11. Kovner C, Gergen PJ. Nurse staffing levels and adverse events following surgery
in U.S. hospitals. Image: Journal of Nursing Scholarship 1998;30:315-21.
12. Aiken L, Sloane D. Advances in hospital outcomes research. Journal of Health
Services Research & Policy 1998;3:249-50.
13. Sochalski J, Estabrooks C, Humphrey C. Nurse staffing and patient outcomes:
evolution of an international study. Canadian Journal of Nursing Research
14. Carpenter GI, Ikegami N, Ljunggren G, Carrillo E, Fries BE. RUG-III and resource
allocation: comparing the relationship of direct care time with patient
characteristics in five countries. Resource Utilization Groups. Age and Ageing
1997;26. Suppl. 2:61-5.
15. Wharrad H, Robinson J. The global distribution of physicians and nurses.
Journal of Advanced Nursing 1999;1:109-20.
16. Hoff W.Traditional practitioners as primary health care workers. Geneva: World
Health Organization; 1995. Unpublished document WHO/SHS/DHS/TRM/95.6.
17. Taylor B. Parents as partners in care. Paediatric Nursing 1996;8:24-7.
18. Ukanda U, Sharma U, Saini K. Care provided by 'skill mix' and 'informal care
givers' to critically ill patients. Nursing Journal of India 1999;90:53-4.
19. Wasserbauer LI, Arrington DT, Abraham IL. Using elderly volunteers to care for
the elderly: opportunities for nursing, Nursing Economics 1996;14:232-8.
20. Ellis B, Connell NAD, Ellis HC. Role, training and job satisfaction of
physiotherapy assistants. Physiotherapy 1998;84:608-16.
21. Edwards M. The health care assistant: usurper of nursing? British Journal of
Community Health Nursing 1997;10:490-4.
22. Orne RM, Garland D, O'Hara M, Perfetto L, Stielau J. Caught in the cross fire
of change: nurses' experience with unlicensed assistive personnel. Applied
Nursing Research 1998;11:101-10.
23. Gardner DL. Issues related to the use of nurse extenders. Journal of Nursing
24. Krapohl G, Larson E. The impact of unlicensed assistive personnel on nursing
care delivery. Nursing Economics 1996;14:99-112.
25. Siehoff AM. Impact of unlicensed assistive personnel on patient satisfaction:
an integrative review of the literature. Journal of Nursing Care Quality 1998;
26. Hesterly SC, Robinson M. Alternative caregivers: cost effective utilisation of
RNs. Nursing Administration Quarterly 1990;14:45-57.
27. Bostrom J, Zimmerman J. Restructuring nursing for a competitive health care
environment. Nursing Economics 1993;11:35-41,54.
28. Powers P, Dickey C, Ford A. Evaluating an RN/co-worker model. Journal of
Nursing Administration 1990;20:11-15.
29. Garfink C, Kirby KK, Bachman SS. The University Hospital nurse extender
program: Part IV. Nursing Management 1991;21:26-31.
30. Carr-Hill RA, Dixon P, Griffiths M, Higgins M, McCaughan D, Rice N, Wright K.
The impact of nursing grade on the quality and outcome of nursing care.
Health Economics 1995;4:57-72.
31. Castillo A, Manfredi M. Estudio sobre la situacio n de la formacio n de personal
te cnico en salud: algunos pases de la regio n [Study on the training of health
technicians' situation in some countries of Latin American and Caribbean].
Washington (DC): Pan American Health Organzation;1999.
32. Holt MR, Hand MM. The pharmacist's role in reducing patient delay in seeking
treatment for acute myocardial infarction. Journal of the American
Pharmaceutical Association 1999;39:752-7.
33. Rodgers S, Avery A, Meecham D, Briant S, Geraghty M, Doran K et al.
Controlled trial of pharmacist intervention in general practice: the effect on
prescribing costs. British Journal of General Practice 1999;49:717-20.
34. Bogden PE, Abbot R, Williamson P, Onopa J, Koontz L. Comparing standard
care with a physician and pharmacist team approach for uncontrolled
hypertension. Journal of General Internal Medicine 1998;13:740-5.
35. Chant A. A confusion of roles: manpower in the National Health Service.
Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine 1998;91:63-5.
36. Calpin-Davies PJ, Akehurst RL. Doctor-nurse substitution: the workforce
equation. Journal of Nursing Management 1999;7:71.
37. Shum C, Humphreys A, Wheeler D, Cochrane M, Skoda S, Clement S. Nurse
management of patients with minor illnesses in general practice: a multi centre
randomised control trial. BMJ 2000;320:1038-43.
38. Kinnersley P, Anderson E, Parry K, Clement J, Archard L, Turton P, et al.
Randomised control trial of nurse practitioner versus general practitioner
care for patients requesting same day consultation in primary care. BMJ
39. Venning P, Durie A, Roland M, Roberst C, Leese B. Randomised control trial
comparing cost effectiveness of general practitioners and nurse practitioners
in primary care. BMJ 2000;320:1048-53.
40. Svitone EC, Garfield R, Vasconcelos MI, Craveiro VA. Primary health care
lessons from the northeast of Brazil: the Agentes de Sau de Program.
Pan-American Journal of Public Health 2000;7:293-302.
41. Buchan J, Ball J, O'May F. If changing skill mix is the answer, what is the
question? Journal of Health Services Research and Policy 2002;6:233-8.